I thought about volunteering to coach Lucas' team, since I coached Josh's team last year (and the league needed one more volunteer). But since I'm on crutches and don't know when I can walk again, much less run or kick (it's my right foot that's injured), I didn't. And good thing that turned out to be, because Lucas got a real coach. Meaning, this guy coaches soccer professionally; for a living. He has all kinds of real gear. It was very excited and not at all what my practice would have looked like!
As they waited for practice to begin, Lucas hit the field and practiced kicking some balls into goal:

Josh couldn't resist offering some words of advice (but he did really, really great at staying out of the way once practice began and letting Lucas focus on the coach):

The "Jets" are all lined up for the start of practice (and tiny Lucas is the littlest Jet):

Drill #1: quick-stepping over the lines. These things then popped up as tiny hurdles, so they could run hurdles, and then practice two-legged hops too. Great stuff.

Coming in for the first water break:

Back in action!

It was tons of fun and so cute. Lucas is really good and did a great job in all the drills. He got a lot of praise and encouragement from his coach. The only area of improvement was that, once the scrimmage began, he didn't engage at all. Even after I yelled some directions to him (like Josh, I tried to stay out of it for the most part), like "defend your goal" or "go get it." So on the drive home, we asked him why he didn't get the ball during the game. He explained, "My friends didn't give me my turn." Ahh, what a sweet preschooler! He was trying to follow the "share and take turns" rules of school. He didn't know it was okay to just go take it. We'll work on that though (and hope it doesn't cause problems at school!).


No comments:
Post a Comment