Thursday, December 05, 2013

US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit

As a result of the significant budget cuts our office sustained this year, not to mention a friendlier new Chief Judge, I have begun to make court appearances again.  I argued one case before the Fifth Circuit in September, in El Paso, and I made my first appearance before the Fifth Circuit at its main courthouse in New Orleans this week. 
 
Here's a view of the courthouse from across the park:
 
 
And a closer view:

 
Trips to New Orleans mean one thing at our house:  CHOCOLATE GATORS!

 
Appellate courts don't rule at the time you argue the case; they take it "under advisement" while they conduct their own research and analysis, and then issue a written opinion several months later.  So I don't know whether I'll win, but I did get a nice compliment from one of the judges, so we'll call it a success!
 
If you want to hear the argument, click on the following link:
 
 
and enter 12-10834 in the box that says "and/or docket number is" and click on "search"
 
The screen for case number 12-10834 will appear.  Under "Listen," click on the link that says "Windows Media" and an audio file will open up.  You might have to turn up your volume; in my experience, these recordings are not very loud.  But it will start playing.  I argue for the first 15 minutes and the final 5 minutes; my opponent argues for 15-20 minutes in between. 
 
 

No comments: