Sunday, August 10, 2008

Vacation report

We've had a busy weekend--playground, nap and zoo yesterday, then air show and softball world series today. We still have not finished unpacking from our trip, in part because we seem to be home so little. Must work on that tomorrow.
In the meantime, it's time to start sharing pictures and stories from our Lake Almanor trip. (We do have some air show pics, and I'll get those posted too. It was cool.)
My plan is to post one day's activities each day this week. Cross your fingers for me.
We start with the drive. We left on Friday July 25, and drove four hours south, spending the night in Grants Pass, OR, about an hour from the OR/CA border. We got a late start, and probably ended up driving about an hour longer than we should have--Luke started crying (and doesn't stop once he starts crying in the car), and Josh couldn't fall asleep. We finally got checked into the hotel around 10:30, and didn't get everyone to sleep til almost midnight.
We broke up Saturday's drive. From Grants Pass, we drove 3 hours to Redding, CA (still on the I-5 corridor). We had planned to stop at a very child-friendly pool (with a children's water activity center in the shallow end), but by happenstance it was closed that weekend for cleaning. We found a city park with a water feature: bubblers for the little ones, and a huge spouting volcano and water cannons to squirt for the big kids. We had a picnic lunch there, and spent almost two hours playing. It was a great break out of the car. From there, it was less than three hours on to Lake Almanor, so it was pretty easy from there (the boys mostly napped).
Here is Josh being the bait for another kid's turn on the cannon squirters:


Lucas in the shallow pools that formed from the spouting water:

and walking with Dad to the baby section:

I took variations on this picture 6 or 7 times, trying to get a good picture of Lucas during our picnic. If he ever complains about having less pictures and blames second child syndrome, I hope I remember how little he was willing to cooperate in getting his photo taken so I can return the blame! This one's not so bad though:

No comments: